Plans rejected by council

Newcastle City Council has refused the application for a drive-through Burger King at the former police station site on Westgate Road.

Two applications were submitted for the former police station site. The first was for a drive-through Burger King. The second was for shops and flats. Both applications were unanimously refused at the planning committee meeting on Friday 18 September 2020.

Local residents, who had been campaigning against the plans, expressed their relief at the decision and hope that a better use can be made of the site that meets the needs of the local community.

Members of the campaign would like to take this opportunity to thank the council planning department for their hard work considering comments/objections/support from the community. Thanks also to the councillors who supported their constituents by raising their concerns and the councillors on the planning committee for their transparent, detailed and thoughtful process. Finally, a big thanks to the 137 people who took the time to submit objections.

The meeting was live streamed and you can watch it below. The relevant section starts at around 2:09 (at around 11:30am).

The agenda and documents can be viewed on the council website:

Planning Committee Friday 18th September, 2020 9.30 am

Council set to reject applications

Plans for a drive-through Burger King look set to be turned down by the council at their planning meeting on Friday according to an article in the Chronicle published yesterday.

Controversial Burger King drive-thru plans for former Newcastle police station face rejection

80 objections were submitted by local residents along with over 400 signatures to a petition against the proposed development. Six councillors objected to the proposal and the local MP, Chi Onwurah, expressed her concern.

Chi said, “The West End of Newcastle already has a huge number of fast food outlets. Residents complain to me regularly about the litter that they cause. We also know the North East has some of the highest rates of obesity in the country and all the consequences for health and quality of life.  This location is very close to a primary school at a time when we need to be promoting a healthier start in life for the next generation of Geordies.”

The council’s public health department also oppose the scheme, stating that Newcastle’s provision of fast food outlets is more than 50% higher than the national average.

The planning committee meeting is at 9:30am on Friday 18 September. It will be live streamed so you can watch the meeting on YouTube. More details are on the council website:

Planning Committee Friday 18th September, 2020 9.30 am

Last few days to object

If you haven’t done so already there are a few days left to object to the application for a drive-through Burger King on the old police station site on Westgate Road.

There were 183 objections to the original planning application and 900 signatories to the petition. This shows the strength of feeling in the local community. Though revised and split into two, the new planning application is largely the same as it was before so most of the issues raised by residents are still valid.

Unfortunately, we’ve been told that the objections to the original application won’t be considered when the council assesses the new application. This means that it is really important that you object to the new application even if you objected before.

The deadline is slightly later than we had publicised previously, but is only a few days away now.

Deadline for objections: Thursday 20 August 2020.

Make sure you submit your objection now!

Developers to submit second planning application

We understand that Hadrian Property Investments are preparing to submit a new application for the Police Station site. A report appeared in the Chronicle on 7 July 2020 saying that plans have been revised, and are set to be presented to planners in two separate applications.

The plans appear to still involve a drive-through Burger King, residential accommodation and retail outlets.

We are not clear how far the plans have progressed but they are not yet available on the council’s planning portal.

Read the article in full: Developers revive plans for Burger King drive-thru at former West End police station

We are disappointed that the developers haven’t made any attempt to speak to local residents or address their concerns about the proposals.